Village Administrative Officer
Season of exam and aspirants must be applying for many government jobs. Students from all over India are willing to perform well. We came across with new details and description of VAO exam. What exactly VAO exams for!?! Is that a job of serving government or else it is concerned with maintenance of village?
Village Administrative Officer (VAO) is the basic V level administrative Functionary. Its exam is conducted by Tamilnadu Public Service commission (TNPSC). Basically, VAO assisted by one village assistant. He is the officer who deals with:
- Tax Collection:Land Revenue, tree tax and others. Recovery of dues to the government.
- Reporting Functions: Reporting higher authorised about happenings in the village such as unnatural death, Objectionable encroachments, caste feud etc.
- Revenue Records: Prepare and maintain of record related to village revenue and land records.
- Enquiry and petitions: To furnish inspection and do inquiry on petitions, handle the reports.
- Data collection: Gather field level data about BPL (Below Poverty Line), consumer affairs and Civil supply.
- Election Duties: Arrangements of polling booths during elections issue of Solvency Certificate for bail purpose.
- Certificate Issue to farmers.
- During Natural Calamities: immediately reports to higher authorities about the natural calamities and assists in relief operations and rehabilitation measures.
- Abolishing Bonded Labour: gets vigil over incident like bounded labour.
|SI.No||Category of Candidates||Mini Age (should have completed)||Max Age (should not have completed)|
|1||SCs, SC(A)s, STs, MBCs/DCs,
BCs, BCMs and DWs of all
|21 years||40 years|
|2||Others” [ i.e. Candidates not
belonging to SCs, SC(A)s,
STs, MBCs/DCs, BCs and
|21 years||30 years|
2. Educational qualification:Candidate should acquire the following or its equivalent qualification on the date of notification. Must acquire minimum general educational qualification viz. Must have passes S.S.L.C public examination or else if not, then candidate is not eligible for higher studies.
3. Knowledge of Tamil: Aspirants should be aware of Tamil. And should have knowledge of it.
Note: Candidate not belonging to SCs SC(A)s, STS, MBCs/DVs, BCs and BVMs, who have put in 5 years of service in the state/ Central government are not eligible even if they are within age limit.
What exactly you need to study for VAO exam?
Syllabus of VAO Examination
Paper will be set in two types:
Type-1 General studies + General Tamil consist questions on General Studies (75 questions), Basics of Village Administration (25 items), Aptitude & Mental Ability Test (20 questions) and General Tamil (80 questions)
Type-2 (General Studies + General English) will contain questions on General Studies (75 items), Basics of Village Administration (25 items), Aptitude & Mental Ability Test (20 items) and General English (80 items)
- Candidates are given the option to choose either General Tamil or General English for answering the 80 items apart from answering the 120 (75+25+20) items on General Studies, Basics of Village Administration and Aptitude & Mental Ability Test.
- The 80 questions on General Tamil/ General English will be set in the respective languages and the remaining 120 questions will be set both in English and Tamil.
Pattern of VAO exam: examination pattern for written exam for TNPS VAO
|Subject||No. of Questions||marks||Max time|
|Basic of Village administration||25|
|Aptitude and mental ability test||20||300||3 hrs|
|General Tamil/ general English||80|
Unit one: General Science
- Physics: standard and units-Force, motion and energy-Magnetism, electricity and electronics -Heat, light and sound, Nature of Universe-General Scientific Laws-Inventions and discoveries-National scientific laboratories-Mechanics and properties of matter-Physical quantities
- Botany: Main Concepts of life science-Classification of living organism Nutrition and dietetics-Respiration
- Zoology: health and hygiene-Human diseases including communicable and non – communicable diseases – prevention and remedies-Animals, plants and human life, Blood and blood circulation-Reproductive System-Environment, ecology.
- Chemistry: insecticides, Elements and Compounds-Acids, bases and salts-Fertilizers, pesticides
Unit Two: Current Exam
- Science: Latest inventions on science & technology
- Geography: Geographical landmarks
- Economics: Current socio-economic problems
- Political science: Problems in conduct of public elections-2. Political parties and political system in India-3. Public awareness & General administration-4. Welfare oriented govt. schemes, their utility
- History: Latest diary of events-national -National symbols-Profile of States Eminent persons & places in news-Sports & games-Books & authors – Awards & honours’-India and its neighbours.
Unit three: Geography
- Earth and Universe-Solar System-Monsoon, weather & climate, Water resources — river in Indian soil, minerals & natural resources, forest and wildlife, agriculture, rainfall, pattern transport including surface transport & communication- Social, geography – population-density and distribution- natural calamities – disaster management.
Unit four: History and culture of India and Tamil Nadu
- Mughals and Marathas-Age of Vijayanagaram and the bahmanis-South Indian history-Culture and Heritage of Tamil people-India since independence-Characteristics of Indian culture Unity in diversity –race, colour, language, custom-India-as secular state Growth of rationalist, Dravidian movement in TN-Political parties and populist schemes, Indus valley civilization-Guptas, Delhi Sultans.
Unit Five: Indian Polity
- state and territory- Citizenship-rights amend duties Fundamental rights- Fundamental duties- Human rights charter- Union legislature – Parliament- State executive- State Legislature – assembly- Local government – panchayat raj – Tamil Nadu- Judiciary in India – Rule of law/Due process of law-Elections- Official language and Schedule-VIII Corruption in public life- Anti-corruption measures –CVC, lok-adalats, Ombudsman, Constitution of India–Preamble to the constitution- Salient features of constitution- Union, CAG – Right to information- Empowerment of women Consumer protection forms.
Unit Six: Indian Economy
- Nature of Indian economy- Five-year plan models-an assessment-Land reforms & agriculture-Application of science in agriculture-Industrial growth Rural welfare oriented programmers-Social sector problems – population, education, employment, poverty- Economic Trends in Tamil Nadu.
Unit six: Indian National Movement
- National renaissance-Emergence of national leaders-Gandhi, Nehru, Tagore Different modes of agitations-Role of Tamil Nadu in freedom struggle Rajaji, VOC, Periyar, Bharathiar & others.
Unit Seven: Aptitude & Mental tests
- Conversion of information to data-Collection, compilation and presentation of data – Tables, graphs, diagrams -Analytical interpretation of data – Simplification-Percentage-Highest Common Factor (HCF)-Lowest Common Multiple (LCM)-Ratio and Proportion-Simple Interest-Compound Interest Area-Volume-Time and Work-Logical Reasoning-Puzzles-Dice-Visual Reasoning-Alpha Numeric Reasoning-Number Series.
Hope you came across with good details. Although VOA needs qualification and lots of hard work for preparation. So grab the opportunity and prepare yourself for VAO.