Howdy friends, we have brought this blog for all those students who are preparing for different types of Government jobs whether it is RRB or SSC or UPSC or any other department. This is a very first online journal of our general knowledge series. Over the time we are going to take up miscellaneous topics which will be helpful not only while taking any competitive test, but also increase your understanding of this nation. You can share this online free source of information with your friends and stay updated.
In this piece of writing, we are going to talk over the system of India’s Honors and Awards. It will be our foremost attempt to try to make you clear-cut understand. A lot of people receive Indian Honors and awards each year, for instance, Bharat Ratna, Padam Shree, etc. Have you ever wonder what are the criteria behind these honors? If you are not familiar much with this topic, no problem at all, today we are going to look at the topic in details, although be sure to read to the end of this blog and if you found this useful and valuable share it with your friends.
Now without wasting any more time, let’s come to the topic.
- 1 India’s Honor and Award System
- 1.1 Civilian Awards
- 1.2 Patriotic Awards
- 1.3 Leadership Award
- 1.4 Literature Awards
- 1.5 National Sports Awards
- 1.6 Police Awards
- 1.7 Bravery Awards
India’s Honor and Award System
The Indian Honor Awards are basically acknowledged by Government of India. Commonly there are five main awards which are-Civilian, Leadership, Literature, Patriotic, and Particular.
Bharat Ratna Award
It is the highest Civilian Award of our nation. It is normally conferred on a person who has done an extraordinary service or work in a society. There are no specific eligibility criteria for this award; it can be conferred to any race, religion, caste, gender, etc.
It is the second highest Civilian Award, bestowed to a person who has done exceptional and distinguished service.
The Third-degree Civilian Award is honored to a person who has done distinguished service of a high order to the nation.
The fourth highest level of the Civilian Awards is conferred to the distinguished contribution to the nation.
The patriotic awards are basically put under two categories:
- Wartime Awards
- Peacetime Gallantry Awards
Wartime Gallantry Awards
Param Vir Chakra
It is the highest military decoration in India, bestowed by the government of India to a person who displays the highest level of valor and self-sacrifice during a war/battle. Generally, this award is conferred posthumously.
Maha Vir Chakra
The second highest Military award is again bestowed by the government of India to a person who shows bravery in the presence of an enemy.
The third highest Military Award conferred to a person for his gallantry in warfare.
Peacetime Gallantry Awards
Ashok Chakra Award
It is an Indian Military decoration awarded to a person who performs with courage, valor, and self-sacrifice away from the battlefield.
It is second in the order of the India’s Military decoration for the outstanding valor performance during peacetime.
The third in the order of India’s Military decorations bestowed to the person for counter-insurgency/action against the enemy during the peacetime.
Gandhi Peace Prize
It is an International Award system of India, generally conferred to any individual for their contributions towards social, economic and political transformation through non-violence and other Gandhian methods. This award also carries Rs. 1 Crore in Cash. It is a tribute to the ideals supported by Gandhiji.
Indira Gandhi Prize
This is also an International Award which is generally accorded to a person or an organization for their innovative efforts towards supporting and promoting international peace and development of the civilization of mankind,
Sahitya Akademi Award
It is a literary honor in India. It is conferred to main writers of the books which are proved to be outstanding of the literary merits. There are some other important awards conferred by Sahitya Akademi, namely:
- Sahitya Akademi Fellowship: It is the second highest honor in the Literature Awards, conferred through a system of elections.
- Bhasha Samman: Again the honor is given by Sahitya Akademi for the considerable contribution to the Indian languages other than the 24 above languages.
- Translation Award: The Sahitya Akademi confers this award to the people for their distinguished contribution toward the translation of major works in other languages into one of the 24 major Indian languages.
- Anand Coomarswamy Fellowship: honored to the students from Asian countries who pursue literary projects in India for 3-12 months.
- Premchand Fellowship: honored to the person for her/his importance in literary in SAARC countries.
- Particular Awards
National Sports Awards
Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna
It is the highest sports honor in India. It is conferred to the sports person for their spectacular and commendable performance of 4 years in International sports events.
Named after the most venerable Guru Drona, the award is bestowed for the sports coaching honor in India.
It is the honor bestowed by the government of India to a person who shows outstanding performance in the national level of sports.
Dhyan Chand Award
It is honored for the lifetime achievement of sporting in India. Named after the sports person Dhyan Chand, the award is considered to be given to a person who contributes to the sports during his/her active sporting career and after retirement.
Besides sports awards in particular group, Police award is bestowed to police personnel for his/her gallantry and distinguished services. These medals are generally awarded on Republic day or Independence Day. Some of the important medals are as follows:
- President’s Police Medal for Gallantry
- President’s Fire Services Medal for Gallantry
- President’s Correctional Service Medal for Gallantry
- President’s Home Guards and Civil Defence Medal for Gallantry
- Police medal for gallantry
- Fire Services Medal for Gallantry
- Correctional Service Medal for Gallantry
- Home Guards and Civil Defence Medal for Gallantry
- President’s Police Medal for Distinguished Services.
- President’s Fire Services Medal for Distinguished Service
- President’s Correctional Service Medal for Distinguished Service
- President’s Home Guards and Civil Defence for Distinguished Service
- Police medal for meritorious service.
- Fire Services Medal for Meritorious Service
- Correction Service Medal for Meritorious Service
- Home Guards and Civil Defence Medal for Meritorious Service
Lastly, we are going to cover the honor of bravery conferred by the government of India basically to the children who are at an age of 6-18 years for their praiseworthy act of bravery. It comprises medal, certificate, and a cash prize. Some Important categories which you need to know for competitive examinations are:
National Bravery Award
- Bharat Award
- Sanjay Chopra Award
- Geeta Chopra Award
- Kritin Bhardwaj Award
Jeevan Raksha Padak Series of Awards
- Sarvottam Jeevan Raksha Padak
- Uttam Jeevan Raksha Padak
- Jeevan Raksha Padak
Although there are various other awards that are honored by Government of India, these are some important of them. Questions regarding these awards are generally asked in the previous competitive examinations like SSC, RRB, etc. therefore it makes them probable for the upcoming examination.
Do share your views in the comment box below and don’t forget to bookmark our website for future updates.
The team of FreshersTimes Wishes you Best of Luck.
Disclaimer: the examination data/results/imprints distributed on this site is just for the prompt data to the examinees and does not to be a constitute to be an authoritative record. While endeavors have been made to make the data accessible on this site as credible as it could be. We are not in charge of any accidental mistake that may have published in the information we have distributed on this site. We regret any misfortune to anyone or anything created by any shortcoming, inaccuracy or mistake of the data on this site.